Meaning of cowboy by Wiktionary Dictionary
- A man who tends free-range cattle, especially in the American West .
- A man who identifies with cowboy culture, including wearing a cowboy hat and being a fan of country and western music .
- ( informal ) A person who engages in reckless behavior, especially for the purpose of showing off .
- ( UK, informal ) A dishonest and/or incompetent independent tradesman .
- ( card games slang ) A playing card of king rank .
- ( intransitive ) To work as a cowboy, herding cattle.
- 1994, Sherry Robinson, El Malpais, Mt. Taylor, and the Zuni Mountains: a hiking guide and history
- 1995, American Cowboy ( volume 2, number 4, Nov-Dec 1995, page 26 )
- 2003, C. J. Hadley, Trappings of the Great Basin Buckaroo
- Weisenberg, Michael ( 2000 ) The Official Dictionary of Poker. MGI/Mike Caro University. ISBN 978-1880069523
- Cowboy ( -boi ), n.
1. A cattle herder; a drover; specifically, one of an adventurous class of herders and drovers on the plains of the Western and Southwestern United States.
2. One of the marauders who, in the Revolutionary War infested the neutral ground between the American and British lines, and committed depredations on the Americans.
- cowpoke n. a hired hand who tends cattle and performs other duties on horseback; -- an informal name for cowboy.
Syn. -- cowboy, cowpuncher, puncher, cowman, cattleman, cowhand, cowherd.
Explanation of cowboy by Wordnet Dictionary
Definition of cowboy by GCIDE Dictionary