Meaning of dictionary by Wiktionary Dictionary
- ( UK ) IPA: /ˈdɪkʃən( ə )ɹi/, X-SAMPA: /"dIkS@n( @ )ri/
- ( North America ) enPR: dĭk'shə-nĕr-ē, IPA: /ˈdɪkʃənɛɹi/, X-SAMPA: /"dIkS@nEri/
- A reference work with a list of words from one or more languages, normally ordered alphabetically and explaining each word's meaning and sometimes containing information on its etymology, usage, translations, and other data .
- ( computing ) An associative array, a data structure where each value is referenced by a particular key, analogous to words and definitions in a physical dictionary .
- Dictionary n.; pl. Dictionaries [Cf. F. dictionnaire. See Diction.]
1. A book containing the words of a language, arranged alphabetically, with explanations of their meanings; a lexicon; a vocabulary; a wordbook.
I applied myself to the perusal of our writers; and noting whatever might be of use to ascertain or illustrate any word or phrase, accumulated in time the materials of a dictionary. Johnson.
2. Hence, a book containing the words belonging to any system or province of knowledge, arranged alphabetically; as, “a dictionary of medicine or of botany; a biographical dictionary.”
Explanation of dictionary by Wordnet Dictionary
Definition of dictionary by GCIDE Dictionary