- editour ( obsolete, rare )
- ( UK ) IPA: /ˈɛd.ɪ.tə( ɹ )/, X-SAMPA: /"Ed.I.t@( r\ )/
- ( US ) IPA: /ˈɛɾɪɾɹ̩/, X-SAMPA: /"E4I4r\=/
- A person who edits or makes changes to documents .
- A copy editor .
- A person who edited a specific document.
- A person at a newspaper or similar institution who edits stories and decides which ones to publish.
- A machine used for editing ( cutting and splicing ) movie film
- ( computer software ) A program for creating and making changes to files, especially text files.
- ( television, cinematography ) Someone who manipulates video footage and assembles it into the correct order etc for broadcast; a picture editor .
From Latin editionem ( nominative editio ) ‘a bringing forth, producing’, from perfect passive participle editus, from stem of verb edere, ‘bring forth, produce’, from ex-, ‘out’ + -dere, combining form of dare, ‘to give’; + noun of agent suffix -or .
Explanation of editor by Wordnet Dictionary
- Editor n. [L., that which produces, from edere to publish: cf. F. éditeur.] One who edits; esp., a person who prepares, superintends, revises, and corrects a book, magazine, or newspaper, etc., for publication.
Definition of editor by GCIDE Dictionary