- enPR: yoo͞'fə-mĭz"( ə )m, IPA: /ˈjuː.fəˌmɪ.z( ə )m/, X-SAMPA: /"ju:f@%mIz( @ )m/
- fib for lie
- villa or mansion for house ( compare dysphemisms: hovel, shack )
- correctional facility for prison ( compare dysphemism: slammer )
- sleep ( with ) for have sex ( with ) ( compare dysphemisms: bang, fuck )
- pass away for die
- vertically challenged for short ( physical stature; compare dysphemisms: midget, dwarf )
- enhanced interrogation for torture
Recorded since 1656; from Ancient Greek εὐφημισμός ( euphēmismos ), from εὐφημίζω ( euphēmizō ), from εὔφημος ( euphēmos, “uttering sound of good omen, abstaining from inauspicious words” ), from εὖ ( eu, “well” ) + φήμη ( phēmē, “a voice, a prophetic voice, rumor, talk” ), from φάναι ( phanai, “to speak, say” ) .
Explanation of euphemism by Wordnet Dictionary
- Euphemism ( ūfemĭz'm ), n. [Gr. fr. to use word of a good omen; εὖ well + to speak: cf. F. euphémisme. See Fame.] ( Rhet. ) A figure in which a harsh or indelicate word or expression is softened; a way of describing an offensive thing by an inoffensive expression; a mild name for something disagreeable.
Definition of euphemism by GCIDE Dictionary