- ( UK, US ) IPA: /faɪv/, X-SAMPA: /faIv/
- ( Southern US ) IPA: /fäːv/
- Rhymes: -aɪv
- The digit/figure 5 .
- ( US ) A five-dollar bill .
- Anything measuring five units, as length .
- A person who is five years old .
- five o'clock
- A short rest, especially one of five minutes .
- Take five, soldier .
Ordinal : fifth
Multiplier : quintuple
Middle English, from Old English fīf, from Proto-Germanic *fimf ( compare West Frisian fiif, Dutch vijf, German fünf ), from Proto-Indo-European *pénkʷe ( compare Welsh pump, Italian cinque, Tocharian A/B päñ/piś, Lithuanian penkì, Russian пять ( pjat’ ), Albanian pesë, pêsë, Ancient Greek πέντε ( pénte ), Armenian հինգ ( hing ), Persian پنج ( panj ), Sanskrit páñca ) .
Explanation of five by Wordnet Dictionary
- Five ( fīv ), a. [OE. fif, five, AS. fīf, fīfe; akin to D. vijf, OS. fīf, OHG. finf, funf, G. fünf, Icel. fimm, Sw. & Sw. Dan. fem, Goth. fimf, Lith. penki, W. pump, OIr. cóic, L. quinque, Gr. πέντε, Æol. πέμπε, Skr. pañcan. √303. Cf. Fifth, Cinque, Pentagon, Punch the drink, Quinary.] Four and one added; one more than four.
Five nations ( Ethnol. ), a confederacy of the Huron-Iroquois Indians, consisting of five tribes: Mohawks, Onondagas, Cayugas, Oneidas, and Senecas. They inhabited the region which is now the State of new York.
- Five ( fīv ), n.
1. The number next greater than four, and less than six; five units or objects.
Five of them were wise, and five were foolish. Matt. xxv. 2.
2. A symbol representing this number, as 5, or V.
Definition of five by GCIDE Dictionary