- ( RP ) IPA: /ˈfɒləʊɪŋ/, X-SAMPA: /"fQl@UIN/
- ( GenAm ) IPA: /ˈfɑloʊɪŋ/, X-SAMPA: /"fAloUIN/
- Hyphenation: fol‧low‧ing
- A group of followers, attendants or admirers; an entourage .
- Something to be mentioned immediately later. Used with the definite article the .
( Senses 1, 2 ) When it modifies a noun phrase, it is generally preceded by the definite article the, and the combination functions as a determiner rather than a simple adjective. You can put it before a cardinal like the following two remarks instead of the two following remarks .
Explanation of following by Wordnet Dictionary
- the following items
- the following day
- the crowd of following cars made the occasion seem like a parade
- tried to outrun the following footsteps
- a following wind