- ( UK ) IPA: /ɡəʊl/
- ( US ) IPA: /ɡoʊl/, X-SAMPA: /goUl/
- Rhymes: -əʊl
- A result that one is attempting to achieve .
- In many sports, an area into which the players attempt to put an object .
- The act of placing the object into the goal .
- A point scored in a game as a result of placing the object into the goal.
- A noun or noun phrase that receives the action of a verb. The subject of a passive verb or the direct object of an active verb. Also called a patient, target, or undergoer .
- gaol, Olga
From Middle English gol ( “boundary, limit” ), from Old English *gāl ( “obstacle, barrier, marker” ). Related to Old English gǣlan ( “to hinder, delay, impede, keep in suspense, linger, hesitate, dupe” ), Old English hyġegǣlsa ( “hesitating, slow, sluggish” ). Cognate with Albanian ngel ( “to remain, linger, hesitate, get stuck” ) .
Explanation of goal by Wordnet Dictionary