Meaning of local by Wiktionary Dictionary
- ( UK ) IPA: /ˈləʊkl/, X-SAMPA: /"l@Ukl/
- ( US ) IPA: /ˈloʊkl/, X-SAMPA: /"loUkl/
- Rhymes: -əʊkəl
- From or in a nearby location .
- ( computing, of a variable or identifier ) Having limited scope ( either lexical or dynamic ); only being accessible within a certain portion of a program .
- ( mathematics, not comparable, of a condition or state ) Applying to each point in a space rather than the space as a whole .
- ( medicine ) Of or pertaining to a restricted part of an organism .
- Descended from an indigenous population .
- ( medicine ): topical
- A person who lives nearby .
- A branch of a nationwide organization such as a trade union .
- ( rail transport ) A train that stops at all, or almost all, stations between its origin and destination, including very small ones .
- ( UK ) One's nearest or regularly frequented public house or bar .
- ( programming ) A locally scoped identifier .
- ( US, slang, journalism ) An item of news relating to the place where the newspaper is published .
- local taxes
- local authorities
- local anesthesia
- Local ( lōkal ), a. [L. localis, fr. locus place: cf. F. local. See Lieu, Locus.] Of or pertaining to a particular place, or to a definite region or portion of space; restricted to one place or region; as, “a local custom”.
Gives to airy nothing
A local habitation and a name. Shak.
Local actions ( Law ), actions such as must be brought in a particular county, where the cause arises; -- distinguished from transitory actions. -- Local affection ( Med. ), a disease or ailment confined to a particular part or organ, and not directly affecting the system. -- Local attraction ( Magnetism ), an attraction near a compass, causing its needle to deviate from its proper direction, especially on shipboard. -- Local battery ( Teleg. ), the battery which actuates the recording instruments of a telegraphic station, as distinguished from the battery furnishing a current for the line. -- Local circuit ( Teleg. ), the circuit of the local battery. -- Local color. ( Paint. ) The color which belongs to an object, and is not caused by accidental influences, as of reflection, shadow, etc. ( Literature ) Peculiarities of the place and its inhabitants where the scene of an action or story is laid. -- Local option, the right or obligation of determining by popular vote within certain districts, as in each county,
city, or town, whether the sale of alcoholic beverages within the district shall be allowed.
- Local, n.
1. ( Railroad ) A train which receives and deposits passengers or freight along the line of the road; a train for the accommodation of a certain district. [U.S.]
2. In newspaper cant, an item of news relating to the place where the paper is published. [U.S.]
3. A train or bus which stops at all stations along a line, as contrasted with an express, which stops only at certain stations designated as express stops.
By Wiktionary ( 2011/06/06 02:57 UTC Version )
Explanation of local by Wordnet Dictionary
Definition of local by GCIDE Dictionary