Meaning of o'clock by Wiktionary Dictionary
- ( modifying a numeral, one to twelve ) In conjunction with a numeral, indicates the time within a twelve hour period ( midnight to noon or noon to midnight ), specifically the time when the hour hand of a clock points precisely to the symbol or marking corresponding to the designated numeral .
- ( humorous ) In conjunction with a term representing an action or event that occurs daily, indicates the time that said action or event occurs, or first occurs.
- 1880, Henrietta A. Duff, Honor Carmichael, page 251,
- 1904, George Augustus Sala, Edmund Hodgson Yates, Temple Bar, Volume 129, page 144,
- 1998, Carolyn Greene, Heavenly Husband, page 129,
- ( with a numeral, one to twelve ) In conjunction with a numeral, indicates the direction, relative to the speaker, corresponding to the direction the hour hand is pointing at the time corresponding to the numeral, with twelve representing directly ahead and three being to the right.
- Used to indicate direction on a plane, often vertical with 12 o'clock being straight up, representing a projection of the speaker's field of vision.
- 1989, Aileen R. Lotz, Birding around the year: when to find birds in North America:
- 1992, Herbert Benson; Eileen M. Stuart, Harvard Medical School. Mind/Body Medical Institute, The Wellness book, page 86:
- 1994, Peter Abramoff; Robert G. Thomson, Laboratory outlines in biology--VI, page 22:
- 1997, Bill Thompson, Bird watching for dummies:
- Clock position on Wikipedia .
- After a numeral, designates the time when the minute hand of a clock or watch points to twelve ( as opposed to a certain number of minutes before or after that time ) and the hour hand points to the specified numeral .
- After a numeral, designates the relative heading, from a given point and heading, to another point, as if the given point is at the centre of a clock and the numeral twelve is aligned with the given heading .
By Wiktionary ( 2010/10/20 10:18 UTC Version )