Meaning of obvious by Wiktionary Dictionary
- IPA: /ˈɒb.viː.əs/
- Easily discovered, seen, or understood; self-explanatory .
- See also Wikisaurus:obvious .
- Obvious a. [L. obvius; ob ( see Ob- ) + via way. See Voyage.]
1. Opposing; fronting. [Obs.]
To the evil turn
My obvious breast. Milton.
2. Exposed; subject; open; liable. [Obs.] “Obvious to dispute.” Milton.
3. Easily discovered, seen, or understood; readily perceived by the eye or the intellect; plain; evident; apparent; as, “an obvious meaning; an obvious remark.”
Apart and easy to be known they lie,
Amidst the heap, and obvious to the eye. Pope.
Syn. -- Plain; clear; evident. See Manifest.
-- Obviously, adv. -- Obvious-ness, n.
Explanation of obvious by Wordnet Dictionary
Definition of obvious by GCIDE Dictionary