- enPR: rān'bō
- IPA: /ˈreɪnbəʊ/, X-SAMPA: /'reInb@U/
- A multicoloured arch in the sky, produced by prismatic refraction of light within droplets of rain in the air .
- Any prismatic refraction of light showing a spectrum of colours .
- ( often used with “of” ) A wide assortment; a varied multitude .
- An illusion, mirage
- ( baseball ) A curveball, particularly a slow one
- ( poker slang ) In Texas hold 'em or Omaha hold 'em, a flop that contains three different suits
- 1911, Francis R. Steel, Catching the Rainbow Trout, in The Outing Magazine, volume 58, page 482:
- 1994, John Simon, Of Dogs, Their Masters, and Others, in New York magazine, September 5 1994, page 51:
- Multicoloured .
- ( attributive, 主にUS ) Made up of several races or ethnicities, or ( more broadly ) of several cultural or ideological factions.
- 2006, Anthony Summers, Robbyn Swan, Sinatra: The Life, page 246:
- 2007, Melissa Haussman, Birgit Sauer, Gendering the state in the age of globalization, page 67:
- 2007, Hooson, in a Letter to the Western Mail, 19 June 2007, published in Crossing the Rubicon: coalition politics Welsh style by John Osmond, page 28:
- 2008, Bidyut Chakrabarty, Indian politics and society since independence, page 76:
- ( attributive ) LGBT.
- ( poker, chiefly of a flop ) Composed entirely of different suits .
- Weisenberg, Michael ( 2000 ) The Official Dictionary of Poker. MGI/Mike Caro University. ISBN 978-1880069523
In the United States, 'rainbow' groups/families/alliances/coalitions were originally those made up of several races or ethnicities. The term is now used more broadly, to refer ( in the 2007 quotation, for example ) to an alliance of several political parties .
Explanation of rainbow by Wordnet Dictionary