Meaning of rhotic by Wiktionary Dictionary
- ( RP ) IPA: /ˈrəʊtɪk/, X-SAMPA: /"r@UtIk/
- ( US ) enPR: rōt'ĭk, IPA: /ˈroʊtɪk/, [ˈɹoʊtɪ̈k], X-SAMPA: /"roUtIk/
- Rhymes: -əʊtɪk
- ( of an English accent ) Pronouncing the letter r wherever it appears, as in bar ( /bɑːɹ/ ) and bard or barred ( /bɑːɹd/ ); this trait is common in much of the United States, Canada, many parts of the north and west of England, Ireland, and Scotland .
- ( of a phoneme ) Having the quality of the said letter. This includes the sounds of the IPA symbols /ɹ/, /ɻ/, /ɚ/, /ɝ/, and some would say /r/, or r coloring .
- ^ John Wells’s Phonetic Blog: Rhotic
- Ch'orti', Chorti